Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Practice 1 - Construction Administration Checklist

As my practice curriculum will be focused strongly on the CA phase of a church project that is coming up here very shortly, one of my first steps has been putting together a “checklist” of things to consider once the project gets rolling. Below is an informal list of things that I will be thinking about here in the coming months, in no particular order. (while putting this list together, I had the help of experienced co-workers who have acted as Clerks and Owners Reps on recent projects)

1-Pay attention to the type of contract that exists between the owner and GC (ie. lump sum, unit price) and understand how this will affect the GC’s pay requests.
2-Learn to fully read and understand the pay requests.
3-Understand the importance of retainage and why it is in the owner and architects best interest not to release it prematurely. More retainage equals more leverage with the GC.
4-Understand the architects responsibility to look out for the clients best interests.
5-Understand how to verify pay requests.
6-Read and re-read Div. 1 General Requirements in the project manual. This is vital reference information throughout the construction process.
7-Get a construction schedule from the GC, as required in the Specs, and make sure the GC is updating it. Review it monthly and cross check with the pay requests.
8-Get to know the job superintendent and form a solid working relationship with him/her.
9-Get to know the owner and form a solid working relationship with him/her.
10-Understand the importance of monthly construction progress meeting and my role in it.
11-Whoever prepares the agenda and the minutes for the meeting has the power to drive the meeting.
12-Be sure to thoroughly review change proposals.
13-Double check overhead & profit figures and ask for backup for any numbers that are in question.
14-Respond to Requests for Information in a timely manner.
15-Understand lead times on materials.
16-Understand the importance of a submittal schedule from the GC in keeping the project on track as well as planning time for submittal review.
17-Understand what is my responsibility and what isn’t. Don’t be too quick to solve problems that are not mine to solve. I may be assuming undue liability.
18-Understand allowances and the importance of defining them clearly.
-Don’t ever feel rushed to make decisions. There is always time to do your homework and get the answer right.
19-Take full advantage of site visits.
20-Keep the owner happy. As I watch the project come together, put myself in the owners shoes in terms of what is acceptable quality and what is not.
21-Don’t be afraid to speak up, but be sure to pick my battles.

This is obviously a preliminary list. Having never been through this process, I don’t exactly know what I don’t know. However, I think that this a great start and I already feel as if I have a leg up on the process and what to be looking out for.

No comments: