Sunday, January 7, 2007

"Architect as Social and Political being"

Design citizenship and the vita activa....architectural design as a service
to the greater good......This is an interesting and noble concept....one
which I did not initially pick up from Bickford's writing.....

My first reaction, as you can most likely tell, took a defensive
tone....."What, the built environment the problem??? The hell you say!!!"
While I stand by my initial post, I choose to take a different approach this
time around.....Now that I have had some more time to ponder the issue....

My initial post portrayed Architects as "homo faber," or "man the
maker".....Designer as craftsman, with little obligation beyond the
craft......service providers, not policy makers.......

If nothing else, from a design standpoint, Bickford's writing at least makes
me think about whether or not it should be that way, and how we can change
it.....How can I take advantage of the opportunities that I will be given to
impact the built environment for the greater good?? How can I make sure that
every project I come in contact with can be more than a "solution to a
problem??"....... How can I inject my sense of Design citizenship into my
designs and, all corny-ness aside, make the world a better place????

The first step is becoming aware of the issue....accepting that this
profession, should it choose, can make a difference, for better or worse,
where the greater good is concerned.... We can help define the problems
instead of just trying to solve them...

It's a start...........

1 comment:

Anne McQuown said...

I think you consider the greater good in the built environment more than you think. I know I have more ideas each day than I ever get the chance to express. Maybe we need to be prepared, on the lookout for the oportunities to insert our ideas- when they are good ones- into conversations which can affect the built environment.